On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 at 06:15, Stephen J. Turnbull
<turnbull.stephen...@u.tsukuba.ac.jp> wrote:

> Greg Ewing writes:
>  > On 7/04/21 5:22 am, Brandt Bucher wrote:
>  > > we might consider updating those templates if the term "Reference
>  > > Implementation" implies a higher standard than "we've put in the
>  > > work to make this happen, and you can try it out here"
>  >
>  > Maybe "prototype implementation" would be better? I think I've used
>  > that term in PEPs before.
>
> That seems to me to correspond well to Brandt's standard as expressed
> above.
>
> To me, "prototype implementation" is somewhere between "proof of
> concept" and "reference implementation", and I welcome the additional
> precision.  The big question is can such terms be used accurately (ie,
> do various people assign similar meanings to them)?
>
> I would define them functionally as
>
>     proof of concept
>         demonstrates some of the features, especially those that were
>         considered "difficult to implement"
>
>     prototype implementation
>         implements the whole spec, so can be used be developers to
>         prototype applications,
>
>     reference implementation
>         intended to be a complete and accurate implementation of the
>         specification

I'm OK with these terms (although I don't actually think you *will*
get sufficient consensus on them to make them unambiguous) but with
one proviso - once the implementation is merged into the CPython
source, I think it should simply be referred to as "the
implementation" and qualifiers should be unnecessary (and should be
considered misleading).

Paul