Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Do you do any of the user education *about codec use* that you
> recommend?  The people I try to teach about coding invariably find it
> difficult to understand.  The problem is that the near-universal
> intuition is that for "human-usable text" is pretty much anything *but
> Unicode* will do.

It really is a matter of education. For the first time in my career,
I have been teaching the first-semester programming course, and I
was happy to see that the text book already has a section on text
and Unicode (actually, I selected the text book also based on whether
there was good discussion of that aspect). So I spent quite some
time with data representation (integrals, floats, characters), and
I hope that the students now "got it".

If they didn't learn it that way in the first semester (or already
got mis-educated in highschool), it will be very hard for them to
relearn. So I expect that it will take a decade or two until this
all is common knowledge.

Regards,
Martin