On Wed, 23 Jun 2021 at 01:21, Brett Cannon <br...@python.org> wrote:
> Regardless, there are no plans to halt what was decided when we accepted PEP
> 581. Most of the concerns which have been brought up in this thread were
> already expressed back then (the account merge one I didn't remember, hence
> why I replied).

I don't have a strong opinion regarding the use of github accounts,
but just to note, this thread was about the open issue in PEP 588, not
about PEP 581 -
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0588/#a-github-account-should-not-be-a-requirement.

PEP 588 has not been accepted, so it's not necessarily relevant to the
actual migration plan here, but I do think it's reasonable to ask for
some clarification. Either PEP 588 should be rejectected, noting that
the actual implementation plan is being maintained differently, or it
should be updated as an ongoing document as the planning process goes
ahead. I suspect the update on this particular open question might
well be "the problem was considered, and ultimately it was concluded
that requiring a github account was not a showstopper". That may not
please some people (I don't personally care) but that's fine - not
everything has to be unanimous, as long as the SC approves.

Paul