On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 at 07:16, Greg Ewing <greg.ew...@canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

> On 4/10/21 6:23 pm, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 3, 2021 at 9:20 PM Jonathan Goble <jcgob...@gmail.com
> > <mailto:jcgob...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Therefore my vote is for requiring `except* E` and keeping `except
> >     *E` as a SyntaxError.
> >
> > You can't do that with our current lexer+parser.
>
> I don't think it would be desirable in any case. The separation of
> tokens into alphanumeric and non-alphanumeric is deeply embedded in
> every Python programmer's brain by now, and we shouldn't mess with
> it.

Agreed. Having "except*" be a single token, distinguished from the
pair of tokens "except" "*" only by the presence of whitespace, would
be extremely confusing.

And yes, I am aware that 3.as_integer_ratio() and 3.
as_integer_ratio() are syntax errors, whereas 3 .as_integer_ratio()
and 3 . as_integer_ratio() are valid. IMO, that's *also* very
confusing, and serves as a warning to not do that again, and not as an
example of how it's OK and we can do more of that...

Paul