On Thu, 7 Oct 2021 15:52:56 -0400
Sam Gross <colesb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been working on changes to CPython to allow it to run without the
> global interpreter lock. I'd like to share a working proof-of-concept that
> can run without the GIL. The proof-of-concept involves substantial changes
> to CPython internals, but relatively few changes to the C-API. It is
> compatible with many C extensions: extensions must be rebuilt, but usually
> require small or no modifications to source code. I've built compatible
> versions of packages from the scientific Python ecosystem, and they are
> installable through the bundled "pip".
>
> Source code:
> https://github.com/colesbury/nogil
>
> Design overview:
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/18CXhDb1ygxg-YXNBJNzfzZsDFosB5e6BfnXLlejd9l0/edit

Impressive work!

Just for the record:
"""
It’s harder to measure aggregate multi-threaded performance because
there aren’t any standard multi-threaded Python benchmarks, but the new
interpreter addresses many of the use cases that failed to scale
efficiently.
"""

It's crude, but you can take a look at `ccbench` in the Tools directory.

Regards

Antoine.