As you might have noticed, 3.9.8 was scheduled for release on Monday. This
didn't happen yet.

There's a bunch of ongoing work fixing Tcl/Tk problems. macOS Monterey got
released with a new incompatible Tcl/Tk version, some fixes were required for
tkinter compatibility. Details in https://bugs.python.org/issue44828
<https://bugs.python.org/issue44828>. This is now a fixed issue (thanks, Ned!)
but we're going through some more ttk fixes discovered in failing buildbots,
which were sadly unrelated to the Tcl/Tk version bump. In particular, there's a
ttk refleak that was discovered by the Windows 8.1 refleak buildbot which
turned out to be a widespread issue (other refleak buildbots were simply
skipping GUI tests). Example failure:
https://buildbot.python.org/all/#/builders/6/builds/168
<https://buildbot.python.org/all/#/builders/6/builds/168>

I'm fixing the macOS ttk test failures and the refleak now to unblock the 3.9.8
release. I should be done with this tomorrow. We'll go ahead with the release
then. Pablo decided to wait for me with 3.11a2 since the problems are fixing
are also happening in `main` (and 3.10).

We'll keep you posted, cheers!

--
Łukasz Langa
CPython Developer in Residence