On 15. 11. 21 9:25, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Christopher Barker writes:

  > Would a proposal to switch the normalization to NFC only have any hope of
  > being accepted?

Hope, yes.  Counting you, it's been proposed twice. :-)  I don't know
whether it would get through.  We know this won't affect the stdlib,
since that's restricted to ASCII.  I suppose we could trawl PyPI and
GitHub for "compatibles" (the Unicode term for "K" normalizations).

I don't think PyPI/GitHub are good resources to trawl.

Non-ASCII identifiers were added for the benefit of people who use non-English languages. But both on PyPI and GitHub are overwhelmingly projects written in English -- especially if you look at the more popular projects. It would be interesting to reach out to the target audience here... but they're not on this list, either. Do we actually know anyone using this?

I do teach beginners in a non-English language, but tell them that they need to learn English if they want to do any serious programming. Any code that's to be shared more widely than a country effectively has to be in English. It seems to me that at the level where you worry about supply chain attacks and you're doing code audits, something like CPython's policy (ASCII only except proper names and Unicode-related tests) is a good idea. Or not? I don't know anyone who actually uses non-ASCII identifiers for a serious project.