On Wed, 1 Dec 2021 at 12:08, Sebastian Rittau <srit...@rittau.biz> wrote:

> Please note that users of you library usually won't care that the library
> uses type hints. It's more important that there are type hints for the API,
> which can also be supplied using a stub file.

I tried that route, but I was informed that if I do that, mypy will
not check my stubs against the source code. Which means that there's
no easy way of testing that the stubs are correct - is that accurate?

Paul

PS I appreciate the links you posted to various typing forums, but IMO
the most critical missing resource is a central set of typing
documentation that includes examples, FAQs and best practices as well
as reference materials. Typically when I hit an issue with types, I
want to research my own solution, not ask a question, which requires
me to bother other people, as well as interrupting my flow while I
wait for a response. I'd much rather see work being done on
documenting what we currently have in typing, rather than yet more
changes which while no doubt useful, is effectively just churn that
makes maintaining a codebase that has to support multiple Python
versions harder.

PPS Sorry if this sounds negative. TBH, I'd quite happily not use
typing if I didn't want to and stay quiet. A lot of the frustration I
see being expressed here (including my own) seems to come from the
fact that it's so difficult to actually take that sort of "I can
ignore it if I don't use it" attitude, whether that's because of
community pressure, tool requirements, or whatever.