On Mon, Feb 7, 2022 at 5:51 PM Jim J. Jewett <jimjjew...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There are problems with urllib.  With hindsight, it would have been nice
> to do a few things differently.  But that doesn't make migrating away from
> it any easier.
>
> This thread has mentioned several "better" alternatives -- but with the
> exception of 3rd party Requests, the docs don't even mention them.

And as soon as httpx hits 1.0 I plan to update the docs to point at it. But
until that occurs I personally do not want to have a debate about whether
httpx's 0.N version number means it shouldn't be recommended.

> Saying "You can do better, but we won't tell you how" is pretty rude to
> beginners, and we should not do it.
>
> Delegating to the operating system may be sensible for a production
> system, and there is nothing wrong with saying so in the docs, and it would
> be great if we made that easy.  But it is absolutely not a reasonable
> replacement for a straightforward (possibly inefficient and non-scalable)
> implementation written in python that people can read and use for
> reference.  urllib shouldn't be deprecated until we have a better solution
> to *that* use case that is also in the stdlib.  (That might well be worth
> doing, but it should happen before the deprecation.)

Why do you think the stdlib *must *provide an example implementation for
this specific scenario? Is there something unique to HTTP request handling
that you feel is important to demonstrate?