On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 5:17 PM Victor Stinner <vstin...@python.org> wrote:

> It would be great to have the list of supported platforms per Python
> version!

I could see the table in PEP 11 being copied into the release PEPs.

> Maybe supporting new platforms and dropping support for a platform
> should be document in What's New in Python x.y. GCC does that for
> example. It also *deprecates* support for some platforms. Example:
> https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-9/changes.html
>
> --
>
> It's always hard for me to know what is the minimum supported Windows
> version. PEP 11 refers to Windows support:
> https://peps.python.org/pep-0011/#microsoft-windows
>
> But I don't know how to get this info from the Microsoft
> documentation. I usually dig into Wikipedia articles to check which
> Windows version is still supported or not, but I'm confused between
> "mainstream support" and "extended support".

It's "free with purchase" and "pay us more and we will keep supporting
you". You can think of it as standard versus extended warranties.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/policies/fixed

> For example, which Python version still support Windows 7? Wikipedia
> says that Windows 7 mainstream support ended in 2015, and extended
> support ended in 2020. But Python still has a Windows 7 SP1 buildbot
> for Python 3.8: https://buildbot.python.org/all/#/builders/60

Just because we have a buildbot does not mean we support it. All it means
is someone in the community cares enough about Windows 7 to want to know
when CPython no longer works.

> What is the minimum Windows supported by Python 3.10?

I believe it's Windows 8.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/faq/windows
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-81

-Brett