On 2022-03-27 19:52, Dan Stromberg wrote:

On Sat, Mar 26, 2022 at 5:58 PM Ethan Furman <et...@stoneleaf.us <mailto:et...@stoneleaf.us>> wrote:

    [apologies for the late post, just found this in my drafts folder]

    On 2/7/22 12:49 AM, Stéfane Fermigier wrote:

     > 3. Overall, I think the days where "battery included" was a
    positive argument are over

    I strongly disagree.  Being able to download something and
    immediately get something to work and see results is hugely
    rewarding; on the other hand, having to research, find, compare &
    contrast available third-party modules (especially for
    new-comers) can be extremely discouraging.

It might make sense to have CPython's release cadence decoupled from the Standard Library's release cadence.  That is, maybe they should be separate downloads.

On the other hand, it's nice to get it all in one go. Perhaps the installer could gain controls to download optional parts of the standard library or update those parts that have been installed.