The interesting idea here seems to make "lazy imports" easier to implement
by making them explicit in the code. So far, most lazy import frameworks
for Python have done hacks with `__getattribute__` overrides. IIRC the
Cinder version even modifies the bytecode and/or the interpreter.
Disregarding the specific notation proposed, *if* people would be willing
to mark the points where they expect lazy imports explicitly, that would
make implementation much simpler.

The argument that "imports on top" makes code more readable seems pretty
weak to me. The current hacks to speed up startup already violate this rule
(imports inside functions), and in most cases I start reading or writing
code in the middle of a file (having gotten there via a search in my
editor) and the meaning of an import is either obvious (e.g. re.match(...))
or requires another annoying search to find the definition of a certain
unknown variable. Tools can easily show all imports a module does.

The key questions to me are
- What should the notation be?
- Will users be willing to use it?

--Guido

On Fri, Apr 8, 2022 at 1:26 AM Malthe <mbo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is an idea which has been brought up before, sometimes introduced
> as "heresy". But an interesting twist has surfaced now which is
> typing.
>
> But firstly, let me present the idea. It is very simple, that Python
> should have declarative imports, usable anywhere using a simple
> syntax, @<dotted-name>.
>
> For example, `some_regex = @re.compile(...)`.
>
> What happens then is that before anything else in that module, that
> symbol is imported:
>
>     from re import compile as _mangled_re_compile
>
> It must be the very first thing (hoisting) because when else would it
> happen? It's been suggested before to have a shorthand syntax which
> does a dynamic import at the time of using it but this brings me to
> the twist:
>
> We want typing to pick up these imports. And this twist has a second
> leg which is that we often need to import symbols simply in order to
> type some argument type or return type. This leads to a great many
> more imports to type.
>
> (Nevermind that if you want to take typing further, abstract
> interfaces really make more sense rather than specific
> implementations, but the point is the same.)
>
> A situation where this would come in really handy is in scripting such
> as how we use Python in Apache Airflow to let users write out simple
> workflows. A workflow definition which could be a 5-liner quickly
> becomes a 20-liner – consider for example:
>
>     default_args = {
>         "start_date": @datetime.datetime(...)
>     }
>
> It's a lot more ergonomic from a user perspective (well perhaps for
> some users and for some programs).
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Cheers
> Message archived at
> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-dev@python.org/message/UX6EJHLJNNLMFPWVPF5ANYHQSHDZK7SV/

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)
*Pronouns: he/him **(why is my pronoun here?)*
<http://feministing.com/2015/02/03/how-using-they-as-a-singular-pronoun-can-change-the-world/>