On Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 10:34 AM Skip Montanaro <skip.montan...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > No, Discord is a different thing; it does text and voice communication
> > channels in real-time. If you're familiar with Slack, it's broadly
> > similar in purpose.
>
> Thanks (and to the others who replied).

FYI this multiple responses issue doesn't come up on Discourse because the
replies are shown in real-time (as is the "Skip is typing ..." at the
bottom).

> It seems like they've tried to
> make it a game, giving me the "opportunity" to buy boosts (or
> whatever). What's up with that?

It's for "funding" a Discord server and how Discord makes money (otherwise
the service is free).

> Do we really need yet another place
> full of overlapping discussion channels?

Discord isn't overlapping with Discourse. Think of Discord as replacing IRC
while also providing audio chat (and other things). For instance, people
who were working together to squash release blockers for b4 were chatting
live on Discord.