On 3/15/06, guido.van.rossum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Use relative imports in a few places where I noticed the need.
(Ideally, all packages in Python 2.5 will use the relative import
syntax for all their relative import needs.)

You should be aware that using relative imports (or absolute imports) in the standard library may cause custom __import__'s that don't take the optional fifth argument to break, whereas using 'old-style' imports does not. I don't know how common custom __import__ hooks are, and adding the optional fifth argument is backwardly compatible, but I would personally not add absolute or relative imports to the oft-used parts of the stdlib until after 2.5.

On the other hand, code using sys.path_hooks (like zipimport) don't need any tweaking, as the absolute/relative choice is made before they are queried, so I don't know howmuch impact this has, all in all.

--
Thomas Wouters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>