[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> If I want to install Object Craft's Sybase wrapper the
> logical place for it seems like stdlib.db.sybase.  But that's not right
> because the Sybase module's not part of the stdlib.  Okay, it belongs in
> site.db.sybase.  But now we have two different db packages and the
> programmer has to care about stdlib vs external.  (Maybe that's okay.)

This seems to be an instance of the general problem of
trying to fit a multidimensional classification into
a hierarchical structure.

Database systems solved this long ago by ditching
the hierarchy completely and going relational.
Maybe a single dotted hierarchy of package names
is too restrictive? Should we be able to import
things by specifying attributes instead of a
pathname?

   import db where db.stdlib == True and db.language == "SQL" \
      and db.interface == "DBAPI2.0"

?-)

University of Canterbury,          | Carpe post meridiam!                 |
Christchurch, New Zealand          | (I'm not a morning person.)          |