On 4/26/06, Guido van Rossum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
OK, forget it. I'll face the pitchforks.

Maybe this'll help:

http://python.org/sf/1477281

(You can call it 'oldtimer-repellant' if you want to use it to convince people there isn't any *real* backward-compatibility issue.)

I'm disappointed though -- it sounds like we can never change anything
about Python any more because it will upset the oldtimers.

That's a bit unfair, Guido. There are valid reasons not to change Python's behaviour in this respect, regardless of upset old-timers. Besides, you're the BDFL; if you think the old-timers are wrong, I implore you to put their worries aside (after dutiful contemplation.) I've long since decided that any change what so ever will have activist luddites opposing it. I think most of them would stop when you make a clear decision -- how much whining have you had about the if-else syntax since you made the choice? I've heard lots of people gripe about it in private (at PyCon, of course, I never see Pythonistas anywhere else :-P), but I haven't seen any python-dev rants about it. I certainly hate PEP-308's guts, but if if-else is your decision, if-else is what we'll do. And so it is, I believe, with this case.

--
Thomas Wouters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>