On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 10:12:15PM +0200, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> That said, I would be in favour of having select.poll "silently" use
> epoll where available. Of course, it would be good if a "cheap" run-time
> test could be made whether epoll is available at run-time (although
> just waiting for ENOSYS from epoll_create is probably cheap enough).
> Also, it would be good if the application could find out it is using
> epoll; for example, epollObject could expose a fileno member.

Woo! I'd be happy to code this up. First I'd like to get a feel for the
prefered way of getting this integrated. Would people rather see:

1) Provide an epoll implementation which is used "silently" when the call is
available.

2) Expose both poll(2) and epoll(4) in python and build select.poll on top of
whatever is available.

Ok, so 2 is only different in that it exposes the lower level APIs. I'd like
to know if that's what people want.

Ross