On 5/29/06, Tim Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[Tim]
>> To be clear, Thomas proposed "accepting it" (whatever that means) until 3.0.
[Guido]
> Fine with me.

So who has a definition for what "it" means?

I know which 'it' I meant: the same 'it' as struct already accepts in Python 2.4 and before. Yes, it's inconsistent between formatcodes and valuetypes -- fixing that the whole point of the change -- but that's how you define 'compatibility'; struct, by default, should do what it did for Python 2.4, for all operating modes. It doesn't have to be more liberal than 2.4 (and preferably shouldn't, as that could break backward compatibility of some code -- much less common, though.)

Making a list of which formatcodes accept what values (for what valuetypes) for 2.4 is easy enough (and should be added to the test suite, too ;-) -- I can do that in a few days if no one gets to it.

--
Thomas Wouters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>