Guido van Rossum wrote:

> On 7/5/06, Phillip J. Eby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Did you also consider and reject:
> >
> > * Alternate binding operators (e.g. ":=", ".=", etc.)
>
> Brr.

That's too bad :(

I still find a rebinding operator (":=" being my favorite) much, *much*
more appealing than any of the alternative proposals. It's beautifully
symmetrical with "assignment means local". It also pretty much makes the
global statement redundant.

The only downside I see is that it may cause a fairly big shift in
style: I for one would use := for rebinding local names. While I think
that would be an improvement (eg. by catching typo's earlier), it's
*different*.

Just

--
Change is bad. We fear change. -- Garth Algar