On 10/2/06, Paul Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 10/2/06, Phillip J. Eby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[SNIP]
> I'm surprised, however, that you think working on this in C is going to be
> *less* time than it would take to simply replace __import__ with a Python
> function that reimplements PEP 302...

That I do agree with. There's a bootstrapping issue (you can't import
the Python module that does all this without using a C-coded import
mechanism) but that should be resolvable.

This is why I asked for input from people on which would take less time.  Almost all the answers I got was that the the C code was delicate but that it was workable.  Several people said they wished for a Python implementation, but hardly anyone said flat-out, "don't waste your time, the Python version will be faster to do".

As for the bootstrapping, I am sure it is resolvable as well.  There are several ways to go about it that are all tractable.

-Brett