Thomas Heller wrote:

I'm beginning to suspect that I have a botched VS install on this machine, though. I'll investigate.

Do you get a traceback when you set the DISTUTILS_DEBUG environment
> variable?

Indeed I do:

  File "c:\python26\lib\distutils\msvc9compiler.py", line 436, in compile
    self.initialize()
File "c:\python26\lib\distutils\msvc9compiler.py", line 347, in initialize
    vc_env = query_vcvarsall(VERSION, plat_spec)
File "c:\python26\lib\distutils\msvc9compiler.py", line 239, in query_vcvarsall
    raise IOError("Unable to find vcvarsall.bat")

Oops. Guess that's what you get for having too many Windows development boxes ;-)

(a nicer error message in non-debug mode would be a good thing, I think.)

</F>

PS. Can any resident Microsoft compiler expert perhaps summarize the differences between the Express Edition and the "real" editions wrt. generated code? Are there any differences at all?