Terry Reedy wrote:

In particular, built-in functions, in spite of of being labeled 'builtin_function_or_method', are not usable as methods because they lack the __get__ method needed to bind function to instance.

They're not usable as Python-level instance methods, but they're definitely usable as methods, since they're used to implement methods for built-in types.

I'm probably missing something, but I don't think there's a convenient method to get the internal function from a built-in type. However, you can find traces of them here and there:

>>> "".upper.hello
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
AttributeError: 'builtin_function_or_method' object has no attribute 'hello'
>>> "".upper.__call__
<method-wrapper '__call__' of builtin_function_or_method object at 0x00C06260>

etc.

</F>