On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Michael Foord <fuzzy...@voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
> Sturla Molden wrote:
>>
>> I'd just like to mention that the scientific community is highly dependent
>> on NumPy. As long as NumPy is not ported to Py3k, migration is out of the
>> question. Porting NumPy is not a trivial issue. It might take a complete
>> rewrite of the whole C base using Cython. NumPy's ABI is not even PEP 3118
>> compliant. Changing the ABI for Py3k might break extension code written for
>> NumPy using C. And scientists tend to write CPU-bound routines in languages
>> like C and Fortran, not Python, so that is a major issue as well. If we port
>> NumPy to Py3k, everyone using NumPy will have to port their C code to the
>> new ABI. There are lot of people stuck with Python 2.x for this reason. It
>> does not just affect individual scientists, but also large projects like IBM
>> and CERN's blue brain and NASA's space telecope. So please, do not cancel
>> 2.x support before we have ported NumPy, Matplotlib and most of their
>> dependant extensions to Py3k.
>
> What will it take to *start* the port? (Or is it already underway?) For many
> projects I fear that it is only the impending obsolescence (real rather than
> theoretical) of Python 2 that will convince projects to port.

I feel the same way. Given how much resources it will take to port to
py3k, I doubt the port will happen soon. I don't know what other numpy
developers think, but I consider py3k to simply not worth the hassle -
I know we will have to port eventually, though.

To answer your question, the main issues are:
 - are two branches are necessary or not ? If two branches are
necessary, I think we simply do not have the resources at the moment.
 - how to maintain a compatible C API across 2.x and 3.x
 - is it practically possible to support and maintain numpy from 2.4
to 3.x ? For example, I don't think the python 2.6 py3k warnings are
very useful when you need to maintain compatibility with 2.4 and 2.5.

There is also little documentation on how to port a significant C
codebase to py3k.

David