Hey Collin,

Thanks for the good answers so far!

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 21:14, Collin Winter <collinwin...@google.com> wrote:
> We used to run the Mercurial correctness tests at every revision, but
> they were incredibly slow and a bit flaky under CPython 2.6. Bazaar's
> tests were faster, but were flakier, so we ended up disabling them,
> too. We only run these tests occasionally.

Oh, how I know how slow the tests are. I think the flakiness should be
limited to only a few tests (notably the inotify ones), but I guess
you may have enough correctness tests going to not have to test
everything at every revision.

> I can definitely work on that.
> http://codespeak.net:8099/plotsummary.html should give you a quick
> starting point for PyPy's performance. My reading of those graphs is
> that it does very well on heavily-numerical workloads, but is much
> slower than CPython on more diverse workloads. When I initially
> benchmarked PyPy vs CPython last year, PyPy was 3-5x slower on
> non-numerical workloads, and 60x slower on one benchmark (./perf.py -b
> pickle,unpickle, IIRC).

Yes, it makes sense from what I've seen to suppose that PyPy so far
has been focused more on numeric tasks, rather than more
common/diverse usage. Nevertheless, I think the PyPy JIT has come a
long way in the past 6 months or so (there should be a PyPy 1.1
release relatively soon, I think), and I think it makes sense at least
to take this into account in a kind of landscape section.

> My quick take on Cython and Shedskin is that they are
> useful-but-limited workarounds for CPython's historically-poor
> performance. Shedskin, for example, does not support the entire Python
> language or standard library
> (http://shedskin.googlecode.com/files/shedskin-tutorial-0.3.html).

Perfect, now put something like this in the PEP, please. ;)

> Yes, you could implement a tracing JIT with LLVM. We chose a
> function-at-a-time JIT because it would a) be an easy-to-implement
> baseline to measure future improvement, and b) create much of the
> infrastructure for a future tracing JIT. Implementing a tracing JIT
> that crosses the C/Python boundary would be interesting.

Okay, this (combined with Reid's later post about it being a good
3-month project) sounds promising enough.

Cheers,

Dirkjan