2010/1/30 Barry Warsaw <ba...@python.org>:

> Multiple file extensions
> ------------------------
>
> The PEP author also considered an approach where multiple thin byte
> compiled files lived in the same place, but used different file
> extensions to designate the Python version.  E.g. foo.pyc25,
> foo.pyc26, foo.pyc31 etc.  This was rejected because of the clutter
> involved in writing so many different files.  The multiple extension
> approach makes it more difficult (and an ongoing task) to update any
> tools that are dependent on the file extension.

Why not:

foo.py
foo.pyc # < 2.7 or < 3.2
foo.27.pyc
foo.32.pyc
etc.

This is simpler and more logical than the current subfolder proposal,
as it is clear which version each file corresponds to. Python can use
all the magic values it wants, but please don't spill them over into
the filesystem. Readability counts.

Putting the files into a separate dir also makes it much harder to
work with external tools; e.g. VCSes already ignore .pyc and .pyo
files, but not unknown directories.

I'd rather have a folder cluttered with files I know I can ignore (and
can easily run a selective rm over) than one that is cluttered with
subfolders.

Vitor