> Agreed this should be discussed in the PEP, but one obvious problem is
> the speed impact. Picking up a file from a subdirectory is going to
> introduce less overhead than unpacking it from a zipfile.

There is also the issue of race conditions with multiple simultaneous
accesses. The original format for the PEP had race conditions for
multiple simultaneous writers; ZIP will also have race conditions for
concurrent readers/writers (as any new writer will have to overwrite
the central directory, making the zip file temporarily unavailable -
unless they copy it, in which case we are back to writer/writer
races).

Regards,
Martin