Although I would be in favor of an atfork callback registration system (similar to atexit), it seems there is no way to solve the fork() problem automatically with this. Any attempt to acquire/release locks automatically will lead to deadlocks, as it is necessary to know the exact program workflow to take locks in the right order.

I guess spawnl semantic (i.e, like win32's CreateProcess()) can't become the default multiprocessing behaviour, as too many programs implicitly rely on the whole sharing of data under unix (and py3k itself is maybe becoming a little too mature for new compatility breaks) ; but well, as long as there are options to enforce this behaviour, it should be fine for everyone.

I'm quite busy with other libraries at the moment, but I'll study the integration of spawnl into the multiprocessing package, during coming weeks. B-)

Regards,
Pascal