On 25/02/2010 23:56, Greg Ewing wrote:
Barry Warsaw wrote:

We discussed this at Pycon and agreed that we will not support source-less
deployments by default. The source file must exist or it will be an
ImportError.

This does not mean source-less deployments are not possible though. To
support this use case, you'd have to write a custom import hook.

What????

I don't like this idea at all. I object to being forced to
jump through an obscure hoop to do something that's been
totally straightforward until now.

I thought we agreed at the language summit that if a .pyc was in the place of the source file it *could* be imported from - making pyc only distributions possible. As the pyc files are in the __pycache__ (or whatever) directory by default they *won't* be importable without the source files. A pyc only distribution can easily be created though with this scheme.

Michael

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog

READ CAREFULLY. By accepting and reading this email you agree, on behalf of
your employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from any
and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements, licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap,
clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and
acceptable use policies (”BOGUS AGREEMENTS”) that I have entered into with your
employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in perpetuity, without
prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges. You further represent that you
have the authority to release me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your
employer.