On Jun 19, 2010, at 5:39 PM, geremy condra wrote:

> Bottom line, what I'd really like to do is kick them all off of #python, but
> practically I see very little that can be done to rectify the situation at
> this
> point.

Here's something you can do: port libraries to python 3 and make the ecosystem
viable.

It's as simple as that.  Nobody on #python has an ideological axe to grind,
they just want to tell users to use tools which actually solve their problems.
(Well, unless you think that "helping users" is ideological axe-grinding, in
which case I think you may want to re-examine your own premises.)

If Python 3 had all the features and libraries as Python 2, and ran in all the
same places (for example, as Stephen Thorne reminded me when I asked him about
this, the oldest supported version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux...) then it
would be an equally viable answer on IRC.  It's going to take a lot of work to
get it to that point.

Even if you write code, of course, it's too much work for one person to fill
the whole gap.  Have some patience.  The PSF is funding these efforts, and more
library authors are porting all the time.  Eventually, resistance in forums
like Freenode's #python will disappear.  But you can't make it go away by
wishing it away, you have to get rid of the cause.