On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 9:34 AM, Brett Cannon <br...@python.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 17:17, David Cournapeau <courn...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> But modules do not live in an isolated world; they are dependent on
>>> changes made to other modules. Isolating them from other modules whose
>>> semantics change during development will lead to skew and improper
>>> patches.
>>
>> I cannot comment on the original proposal, but this issue has known
>> solutions in git, in the form of submodules. I believe hg has
>> something similar with the forest extension
>>
>> http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/ForestExtension
>
> Mercurial has subrepo support, but that doesn't justify the need to
> have every module in its own repository so they can be checked out
> individually.

It does not justify it, but it makes it possible to keep several
repositories in sync, and that you get a consistent state when cloning
the top repo. If there is a need to often move code from one repo to
the other, or if a change in one repo often cause a change in another
one, then certainly that's a sign that they should  be in the same
repo.

But for the windows issue, using subrepo so that when you clone python
repo, you get the exact same versions of C libraries as used for the
official msi (tk, tcl, openssl, bzip2, etc...), that would be very
useful. At least I would have prefered this to the current situation
when I need to build python myself on windows.

David