On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Barry Warsaw <ba...@python.org> wrote:
..
> * Registration - How do third party plugins declare themselves to exist, and
>  be enabled?  Part of this seems to me to include interface declarations
>  too.  Is installation of the plugin enough to register it?  How do end users
>  enable and disable plugins that me be registered on their system?  How do
>  plugins describe themselves (provide short and log descriptions, declare
>  options, hook into command line interfaces, etc.)?
>
> * Installation - How are plugins installed on the system?  Do they have to
>  appear in a special directory on the file system?  Do they need special
>  setup.py magic to write extra files?  Do they need to live in a pre-defined
>  namespace?

FWIW We are thinking about adding in distutils2 a system quite similar
to the entry points
setuptools has, but with extra abilities for the end user :

- activate / deactivate plugins without having to remove the project
that added them
- configure globally if plugins are implicitely activated or not --
and maybe allow the distutils2 installer to ask the user
  when a plugin is detected if he wants it activate or not
- provide a tool to browse them

This will be done through files added in the dist-info/ dirs, with the
new PEP 376 api we are
adding to pkgutil

The idea is that the end user should be able to have a full control on
what's activated in his system,
without relying on the developer choices

Cheers
Tarek
--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org