At 10:18 PM 9/16/2010 +0200, Éric Araujo wrote:
Le 15/09/2010 21:45, Tarek Ziadé a écrit : > Could we remove in any case the wsgiref.egg-info file ? Since we've > been working on a new format for that (PEP 376), that should be > starting to get used in the coming years, it'll be a bit of a > non-sense to have that metadata file in the sdtlib shipped with 3,2 On a related subject: Would it make sense not to run install_egg_info from install anymore? We probably can’t remove the command because of backward compat, but we could stop running it (thus creating egg-info files) by default.

If you're talking about distutils2 on Python 3, then of course anything goes: backward compatibility isn't an issue. For 2.x, not writing the files would indeed produce backward compatibility problems.