At 08:03 AM 10/18/2010 +1000, Nick Coghlan wrote:
I'm a little dubious about exposing these officially. They're mainly a
hack to get some parts of the standard library working (e.g. runpy) in
the absence of full PEP 302 support in the imp module, not really
something we want to encourage anyone else to use (and yes, they
should probably have underscores in their names, but we missed that
when the various private implementations scattered around the stdlib
were consolidated in pkgutil).

Well, my intention at least was that they should be documented and released; it's the documenting part I didn't get around to. ;-)

Of course, this was also pre-importlib; were we starting the work today, the obvious thing to do would be to expose the Python implementations of the relevant objects.

That said, who knows when we'll actually have it done right, so in the
meantime maybe having an official workaround is better than nothing...

Cheers,
Nick.