At 10:24 AM 10/26/2010 -0700, Peter Ingebretson wrote:
I have a relatively large application written in Python, and a
specific use case where it will significantly increase our speed
of iteration to be able to change and test modules without needing
to restart the application.

If all you really want this for is reloading, it would probably make more sense to simply modify the existing class and function objects using the reloaded values as a template, then save the modified classes and functions back to the module.

Have you tried http://pypi.python.org/pypi/plone.reload or http://svn.python.org/projects/sandbox/trunk/xreload/xreload.py, or any other existing code reloaders, or tried extending them for your specific use case?