On Nov 8, 2010, at 4:50 PM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Glyph Lefkowitz <gl...@twistedmatrix.com>
> wrote:
>> This seems like a pretty clear case of "practicality beats purity".  Not
>> only has nobody complained about deprecatedModuleAttribute, but there are
>> tons of things which show up in sys.modules that aren't modules in the sense
>> of 'instances of ModuleType'.  The Twisted reactor, for example, is an
>> instance, and we've been doing *that* for about 10 years with no complaints.
>
> But the Twisted universe is only a subset of the Python universe. The
> Python stdlib needs to move more carefully.

While this is true, I think the Twisted universe generally represents a
particularly conservative, compatibility-conscious area within the Python
universe (multiverse?).  I know of several Twisted users who regularly upgrade
to the most recent version of Twisted without incident, but can't move from
Python 2.4->2.5 because of compatibility issues.

That's not to say that there are no areas within the larger Python ecosystem
that I'm unaware of where putting non-module-objects into sys.modules would
cause issues.  But if it were a practice that were at all common, I suspect
that we would have bumped into it by now.