On 1/6/2011 7:37 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Glenn Linderman writes:
  >  On 1/6/2011 3:50 PM, And Clover wrote:
  >  >  ISO-8859-1 is the encoding specified by the HTTP RFC
  >
  >  Please could I have the reference to that specification?

RFC 2616 (probably obsolete by now, but IRC ISO 8859/1 is already
there IIRC), and I don't think UTF-8 is the default for anything until
you get to XHTML (and maybe HTML5).

Thanks.

Looking back, it is 2068 and 1945 also, I just had a mental blind spot, thinking I understood the header formats from email-land, where they are more required to be ASCII, as mentioned in my reply to James.

UTF-8 is the default for FORM DATA when using multipart/form-data encoding, using the POST method. Otherwise, it FORM DATA is limited to ASCII. Per http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/forms.html#h-17.13.1 which is HTML 4.01 (and maybe earlier, but I didn't go back further).

Nice to quote chapter and verse (or link) when declaring that something is in a standard.