On Mar 30, 2011, at 2:54 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> On Mar 30, 2011, at 09:43 AM, Ralf Schmitt wrote:
>
>> Barry Warsaw <ba...@python.org> writes:
>>>
>>> In case you missed it, there are now *three* Python modes.  Tim Peters'
>>> original and best (in my completely unbiased opinion <wink>) python-mode.el
>>> which is still being developed, the older but apparently removed from Emacs
>>> python.el and the 'new' (so I've heard) python.el.
>>
>> https://github.com/fgallina/python.el is the fourth one..
>
> Wonderful.

I have a plea for posterity: since I'm sure that a hundred people will see this
post and decide that the best solution to this proliferation of python plugins
for emacs is that there should be a new one that is even better than all these
other ones (and also totally incompatible, of course)...

I won't try to stop you all from doing that, but please at least don't call it
"python.el".  This is like if ActiveState, Wing, PyCharm and PyDev for Eclipse
had all decided to call their respective projects "IDLE" because that's what
you call a Python IDE :).  It would be nice to be able to talk about Python /
Emacs code without having to do an Abbott and Costello routine.