On 1/3/2012 5:02 PM, Bill Janssen wrote:

Software that depends on an undefined hash function for synchronization
and persistence deserves to break, IMO.  There are plenty of
well-defined hash functions available for this purpose.

The doc for id() now says "This is an integer which is guaranteed to be unique and constant for this object during its lifetime." Since the default 3.2.2 hash for my win7 64bit CPython is id-address // 16, it can have no longer guarantee. I suggest that hash() doc say something similar: http://bugs.python.org/issue13707

--
Terry Jan Reedy