On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 9:43 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solip...@pitrou.net> wrote:

> As for 2), startup time is actually a very important consideration
> nowadays, both for small scripts *and* for interactive use with the
> now very wide-spread use of Jupyter Notebooks.  A 1 ms. cost when
> importing a single module can translate into a large slowdown when your
> library imports (directly or indirectly) hundreds of modules, many of
> which may create their own namedtuple classes.

My experience inside Canonical is that golang stole a lot of "codebase
share" from Python, and (others and mine) talks hit two walls, mainly:
one is memory consumption, and the other is startup time.

So yes, startup time is important for user-faced scripts and services.

Regards,

--
.    Facundo

PyAr: http://www.python.org/ar/