On Mar 10, 2024 12:59, Thomas Passin via Python-list
   <python-list@python.org> wrote:

     On 3/10/2024 6:17 AM, Barry wrote:

     >> On 8 Mar 2024, at 23:19, Thomas Passin via Python-list
     <python-list@python.org> wrote:

     >> We just learned a few posts back that it might be specific to Linux;
     I ran it on Windows.

     > Depending on the exact win32 api used there is a 257 limit on windows.
     > The 257 includes 2 for the device, C:, and 255 for the path part that
     will use 1 for the leading \. Getting an error for a name that is 255 is
     not surprising.

     > Other api allow for 65535 limit, not sure on its additional limits.

     I seem to remember there is a setting to allow longer paths, but I
     forget any details.

   =====
   You mean the "\\?\" prefix?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/maximum-file-path-limitation?tabs=registry