Shannon Mayne wrote:
I would like to create objects with algorithmically determined names
based on other object names and use object names for general algorithm
input.

How would one extract the name of an object from an object instance as
a string. I would think that it is stored as an attribute of the
object but successive 'dir()' calles haven't found me the attribute
with the namestring.

My thanks!

Once again (there have been many posts on this subject). Objects can have more than one name in Python. Therefore there is not a one-to-one correspondence between an object instance and name(s) that point to it.

Example:

a = myObject()
b = a
c = a

now a, b, c all point to the same object.  How would you define it's "name".

You are certainly free to store a name as an attribute to the object, but the linkage would then be purely logical.

Example:

objects = []
objects.append(myObject('a'))
#