On 19 Sep, 11:04 pm, robert.k...@gmail.com wrote:
Daniel Fetchinson wrote:
the pyjamas project is taking a slightly different approach to achieve this same goal: beat the stuffing out of the pyjamas compiler, rather
than hand-write such large sections of code in pure javascript, and
double-run regression tests (once as python, second time converted to
javascript under pyv8run, d8 or spidermonkey).

anyway, just thought there might be people who would be intrigued (or
horrified enough to care what's being done in the name of computer
science) by either of these projects.
I've added pyjamas to the implementations page on the Python Wiki in
the compilers section:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/implementation

In what way is pyjamas a python implementation? As far as I know
pyjamas is an application written in python that is capable of
generating javascript code. Does this make it a 'python
implementation'? That would be news to me but I've been wrong many
times before.

It converts Python code to Javascript.

The question is whether it converts Python code to JavaScript code with the same behavior. I think you're implying that it does, but you left it implicit, and I think the point is central to deciding if pyjamas is a Python implementation or not, so I thought I'd try to make it explicit.

Does pyjamas convert any Python program into a JavaScript program with the same behavior? I don't intend to imply that it doesn't - I haven't been keeping up with pyjamas development, so I have no idea idea. I think that the case *used* to be (perhaps a year or more ago) that pyjamas only operated on a fairly limited subset of Python. If this was the case but has since changed, it might explain why some people are confused to hear pyjamas called a Python implementation now.

Jean-Paul