On 10:07 pm, pavlovevide...@gmail.com wrote:
On Jan 27, 12:56�pm, John Nagle <na...@animats.com> wrote:
Arguably, Python 3 has been rejected by the market.

No it's not fathomably arguable, because there's no reasonable way
that Python 3 could have fully replaced Python 2 so quickly.

At best, you could reasonably argue there hasn't been enough time to
tell.
�Instead, there's
now Python 2.6, Python 2.7, and Python 2.8.

It was always the plan to continue developing Python 2.x alongside
Python 3.x during the transition period.

Last I heard, don't remember where, the plan was for Python 2.7 to be
the last version in the Python 2 line.  If that's true, Python 3
acceptance is further along at this point than anticipated, since they
originally thought they might have to go up to 2.9.

This assumes that the decision to stop making new 2.x releases is based on Python 3 adoption, rather than on something else. As far as I can tell, it's based on the personal desire of many of the core developers to stop bothering with 2.x. In other words, it's more a gauge of adoption of Python 3 amongst Python core developers.

Jean-Paul