Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 16:53:47 +0530
From: reach2shauna...@gmail.com
To: sanamsi...@hotmail.com
CC: python-list@python.org; d...@gnu.org
Subject: Re: installing debug symbols

Hi,

You need to install the python debugging packages for your ubuntu version. I
guess its "python-dbg"

Regards,
Shaunak

2010/4/19 sanam singh <sanamsi...@hotmail.com>

hi,
i am using ubuntu 9.10. it comes with preinstalled python2.6 having no debug
symbols.How can i add debug symbols to it. Secondly i cant afford to install a
fresh python version using OPT=-g way. Please tell me how can i add symbols to
existing python2.6.

The error that i get in gdb when i attach a pid to it is :
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/numpy/random/mtrand.so
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/python2.6/lib-dynload/_ctypes.so...Reading
symbols from /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-dynload/_ctypes.so...done.

(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/python2.6/lib-dynload/_ctypes.so
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/python2.6/lib-dynload/cmath.so...Reading symbols
from /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-dynload/cmath.so...done.

(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/python2.6/lib-dynload/cmath.so
0xb78a5422 in __kernel_vsyscall ()

Thanks in advance.