On 22/02/2023 21.49, Robert Latest via Python-list wrote:
I found myself building a complicated logical condition with many ands and ors
which I made more manageable by putting the various terms on individual lines
and breaking them with the "\" line continuation character. In this context it
would have been nice to be able to add comments to lines terms which of course
isn't possible because the backslash must be the last character on the line.

Question: If the Python syntax were changed to allow comments after line-ending
backslashes, would it break any existing code? I can't think of an example.

Alternative to suggestions thus far: break the complex* logical condition into 'labelled' components, and then combine those (likely shorter) into the condition:

if person.is_adult and person.is_qualified and person.has_funds ...

which presumes that at some previous time we have, for example:

def is_adult( self )->bool:
    return 21 <= self.age <= 65

(not that I'd like to see those two 'magic-constants' in anyone's code, but (hopefully) the idea has been conveyed...)

* "simple is better than..."

NB my PyCharm-settings grumble whenever I create an identifier which is only used once (and perhaps, soon after it was established). I understand the (space) optimisation, but prefer to trade that for 'readability'.
--
Regards,
=dn