-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Hughes, Chad O
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 9:11 AM
To: python-list@python.org
Subject: RE: [python-win32] NTService detecting if the Windows System is
Idle

-----Original Message-----
From: Hughes, Chad O
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 9:09 AM
To: 'Fred Dixon'
Idle

There may be important processes running in the background (headless
process with no user interaction) that need resources while the user may
or may not be "using" the computer, possible when the user is logged
out.

I would use the system resource usage itself to define the idleness of
your system.  There are a great number of things that can be measured
and you can even have general system measurements as well as process
specific measurements.  For example: lets say that you have your
thresholds set to some logical value, and you have some process (call it
processA) that is important.  You can dynamically redefine your
thresholds for when processA is running and then dynamically readjust
them when it is not.  Moreover, you can make your thresholds be a
function of your general system usage combined with process specific
usage.  For example, you can dynamically adjust your thresholds based on
linear functions of the usage of a list of processes and your system.
This is a very flexible approach.  My example is just a starting point.
Do you fallow this?