I made an experiment that I wanted to share because it is imo kind of cool:

I managed to embed a second Python interpreter in a Python process, with
help of WinSxS (WinSxS is a Microsoft technology that allows to isolate
plugins from other plugins, or from the calling process).

The second interpreter is totally isolated from the calling process.

The idea is to use this technology to decouple COM extensions implemented in Python from the caller and from other COM extensions.
But there may be other uses as well...

The code is here:

http://code.google.com/p/ctypes-stuff/source/browse/trunk/winsxs

Information I found useful about WinSxS and assemblies:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd408052%28v=VS.85%29.aspx

http://omnicognate.wordpress.com/2009/10/05/winsxs/

Thomas