Hi,

Is it easy to create a python windows service that registers for the preshutdown event[1]?

Basically I would like a window service that will help shutdown .Net (and possibly other) services in the right order.

Because:
http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/641737/add-windows-service-preshutdown
"A Windows service in C# cannot be registered to preshutdown notifications. It is possible in C++ but not in C# with the current .net framework"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/203878

"When a service is dependendent on other services, the Service Control Manager (SCM) will automatically start the dependencies before starting the dependent service itself. However, during system shutdown, the SCM does not take dependencies into consideration when stopping services. It simply enumerates the list of running services and sends a SERVICE_CONTROL_SHUTDOWN command to all of them. Thus, a service may stop responding or fail because another service it depends upon has already stopped."

(yeah weird right?)

And, since I'm a crappy and lazy programmer I think it'll be easier for me to write such a thing in Python than C++, reasonably quickly, with the features I want and with not too many bugs.

Regards,

Link.

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc164252.aspx#S2