On 10/8/2015 3:56 AM, Laura Creighton wrote:
Hi, I am one of the python.org webmasters.  We get people -- often children
who want to install python on their computers but don't know what OS they
are running.  Nearly all of these people are running Windows, though I
did get somebody who was running FreeBSD the other day. :)

Microsoft tells you to do this:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/which-operating-system

This is asking an awful lot of the people who are mailing webmaster
and who don't know what OS they are running.  It is futile to tell
these people methods to find out what OS version they are running that vary
depending on what OS you have, so  I am looking for a thing you can do on
any version of windows which will reliably spit out the correct
answer.

something along the lines of the windows XP discovery:

     Click the Start button, click Run, type winver, and then press Enter.

You can reduce it be at least one step:

Windows Key + R, type winver, press Enter.

I tested this with Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10. I don't have Vista handy, but I assume it will work there as well.