Hiya,

Running the shell command

        open -a X11 || open -a XDarwin

Will get X11 started for the majority of users (who have it
installed, of course).

Documentation of the open command: http://www.hmug.org/man/1/open.php

There's also an open-x11 shell command that will start Apple's X11,
but not people using XDarwin (which is generally users of < 10.2, if
I remember correctly). I'm not sure how exactly it behaves if Apple
X11 isn't installed.

Of course, you want to have some fallback mechanism if this fails (to
tell your users something went wrong). Gimp.app installs some custom
Carbon event handlers to accomplish this, somehow (see http://gimp-
app.sf.net/ ).

Dave